I'm enjoying the weekend. I'm now out in the country staying with two of the (very) few remaining friends I have Athens. It's good to be out of the chaos of the city and the snarls and nastiness that the continuing labor strikes are creating.I've started to settle into my routine of morning exercise and meditation now that I'm in a quiet and healthy environment. Even though I have to commute back into the city most days, I can at least begin each day with a proper attitude and a relaxed body. It doesn't take long, though, for me to get psychologically tighter than an over wound clock as I immerse myself in the seemingly bottomless pool of the Greek legal system.
Several of you have asked me over time, "How can you keep doing this?" There is a well known character in one of Henry James' novels that was asked a similar question; I like how James had him respond: " ... we work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have ...". To use some 12 Step vernacular, I suit up and show up, and do what is asked of me. That's not to say that I enjoy what I'm asked to do, but in the end, I believe that my actions are the right thing, and that it will all work together for good.
It's no "great service" like Mr. Lincoln rendered, but giving something your best in mind and body has its rewards, believe me.
Life is good ... it really is!

1 comment:
Okay, I am so buying your positive thinking book when you get around to writing it. Jeff, you are my hero! Hang in there!
Post a Comment