The weather has turned very cold again during the past two days. The snow and ice that had been swept aside on the streets earlier in the week to melt, have now become frozen masses.I took a short taxi ride from my hotel last night to one of Beijing's old huntongs and had a quiet meal with a colleague. It was like stepping back in time. The old neighborhoods, dating back to the 17th century seemed to be patiently resting in the frigid night air. The small restaurant oozed agelessness, and echoed faintly with the sounds and smells of the (perhaps) millions of customers who had occupied its interior briefly over the centuries. And there I sat, yet another customer who hoped for something hot and good, to help him shake off his weariness from the day's labors, and ease him into a good night's rest.
It worked. I left satisfied and happy; feeling once again privileged to have experienced such a moment in time.
Tomorrow morning I reurn to California. I'm ready.

No comments:
Post a Comment